Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

CAN NOT DECIDE TO LOWER OR KEEP OEM

Well fellas i bought a set of springs 30mm lower f/r before my car arrived and found the handling great over my last zc32.
now i am pushing my car to its limits were the springs will correct but not sure if i will be happy with the ride with our roads. reason factory sent 16 inch to s.a.
any opinions out there

I'm in the same boat mate. The roads over here in Scotland are a joke, between 'illegal' speedbumps that are way over regulation height, or potholes and massive shitty patches of tarmac the local council just cant be bothered to repair... I'd love to drop my car 30mm but I fear I'd regret it straight away ?

i am holding off a bit.

Personally, I think that's a good idea Ruben. My stock car now has 14k miles under the tyres. I'm utterly convinced that the car has lowered a little with the 'settling' of the suspension. It might only be 5 to 10 mm or so. But the initial new 'softness' of the suspension has now gone. I think this is because the settling of the suspension over time has taken a bit of the slack up. It now feels altogether firmer in my opinion.

I know some prefer the look of a lowered / stanced car. I've been guilty of that myself in the past. But for me, and fast road work - I think it's perfect. If I was looking to set it up as a track tool - then I would consider other options mind.

One of my favorite roads for a thrash is like a rollercoaster track...I think if I lower mine I'd defo bottom out at a few bits ?

I had a 32S before on Tein lowering springs which sit at a 30mm and 25mm drop, car looked great and still yet not awful from what I experienced compared to 45mm lowered springs the ride was still a bit naff!

When my 33S collection was due I got some BC coilovers ordered after asking around about ride quality and was fairly confident they'd do the trick, drove the car for 4 days on standard suspension then fitted the BC's. On their softest setting I'd say they're comfier than the standard setup with no crashing (bottoming out) over potholes and speed bumps like the Tein's did, and I've got a bit of adjustment if I want it any firmer but with the driving I do the softest setting is spot on. The roads around me are just really rough especially on country roads which surround my house, even on the nastiest parts the car is well settled with a nice supple ride, the 32S on the Tein's couldn't hack the same roads and I'd be dreading taking the car at speed over them shaking it to bits! the 33S on coilovers is super comfy and just makes the car sit perfectly obviously with adjustable ride height I've now got it in the perfect height for my liking with plenty of room for adjustment if I fancied it.

After my experience with lowering springs they're a no go for me on any car I get in the future, they offer the looks and the reasonable pricing but they spoil the ride and apparently cause extra stress on the shocks. Which isn't ideal for reliability and costs later on down the line!

In my opinion if you want the car looking much better and feeling just as comfy with extra handling then spend a little more on some BC's and you won't regret it, they're a doddle to fit if you're confident and have a close idea of what you're doing!

I'll attach a few photos of how the car sat just after installing the BC's, you can get away without adjusting the height on them. I've left the front the same height from out of the box and dropped the rear just a tad to match the arch gap of the front since.

Uploaded files:
  • 20200201_152100.jpg
  • 20200201_192942.jpg
  • 20200202_094705.jpg
Nik Brudar has reacted to this post.
Nik Brudar

I wish Bilstein would hurry up and release a B12 kit for the 33S ?

Fellas thanks for your inputs. I am holding off for now with springs aswell.
Lewis thanks for your write up. I happen to have the same Tein luxury masters on my zc 32 and can totally relate. The ride got stiffer with time.
Hated it. As you say to BC are not bad . Would you say the BC not as stiff as the Tein springs was on the 32 ?
Could you provide me the part # for the BC for zc33?

Hi Ruben, the BC's are super soft on the softest setting and there's 30 levels of dampening adjustment to be done so can pick just how you want it. I'd say over half way through the adjustment they are as stiff as the Tein springs and any harder is just a bit pointless unless you're tracking the car or have the perfect roads to drive on! Link I got mine from is here: https://www.ctc-performance.co.uk/store/bc-racing-v1-coilovers-suzuki-swift-2017-zc83s-zc53s-zc33s/

And here's the link to them on BC's site!
https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/suzuki-swift-zc83s-17/id/1872/?product=V1

This is an interesting topic of conversation. I bought a ZC33S a couple of months ago and am pleased with it so far. The only thing I don't like about it, is the ride height. I was talking to the sales people at the dealership and we all agreed it just sits too high as standard. There is just too much of a wheelarch gap.

Not at the moment (because of the coronavirus situation and the economic uncertainty) but eventually I am considering lowering it. I am thinking about going down the route of just lowering springs and I see a couple on the CTC Performance website.

https://www.ctc-performance.co.uk/store/suzuki-swift-sport-zc33s-tein-h-tech-lowering-springs/

A sales person at the dealership I bought from, has Tein H Tech Lowering Springs fitted and whilst I didn't see his car in the flesh, he showed me some before and after photos on his phone and I must admit, it did look much better (as it should look as standard in my opinion). If you didn't know anything about the ZC33S, you wouldn't realise it had been lowered (you'd think that's how it looks as standard). Anyway, he is pleased with it and recommended it. He said the ride was slightly harder, but not uncomfortable and he did notice less roll on corners.

He did also mention, that after they were fitted, the ride height initially looked the same if not higher! He was horrified, but eventually they "settled in" and the ride height eventually dropped. I did read about this in other forums (for other cars) and it seems to be the norm. Initially the ride height will seem the same (and in some cases, look higher!) but eventually SHOULD "bed in" and the ride height will drop.

Something I'm not too keen on about the Teins though is the approximate drop it gives (lowers the car by approximately 30mm front and 20mm rear). I understand why that is, but I seldom have passengers in the back and rarely have a heavy load in the boot. So going by that, the back end would look so high up lol! That's why I'm considering the below instead (H&R Lowering Springs from CTC Performance).

https://www.ctc-performance.co.uk/store/h-and-r-suzuki-swift-sport-zc33s-k14c-lowering-spring-kit/

A friend of mine has H&R lowering springs on his Alfa Romeo and he is pleased with them too. These lower the ZC33S by approximately 35mm. I am after a more aesthetically pleasing look to my car, rather than handling benefits. I realise some of you may be horrified by this (please don't hate me) but I just don't like how high it sits and don't want to spend a higher amount on coilovers (especially if I'm just after aesthetics).

I know that fitting lowering springs on stock dampners will accelerate their wear, but equally, I would have thought a "mild" drop of around 35mm would be okay. If they were fitted on an old high mileage car, then yes, it wouldn't be long before you have to replace them. The H&R springs look like they are progressive as well (as opposed to linear) so they should be more comfortable for normal road use. I found an intersting article showing off said H&R springs below.

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categories/cars-from-az/sport-springs-suzuki-swift-sport-253416/

Like I said, that's how it should look from the factory (in my opinion) and people who know nothing about the ZC33S would probably not know it's been lowered either (i.e. would think that's how it looks as standard, considering it's the top of the range Sport model).

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear from other people (especially if they have either of the 2 mentioned springs fitted) to see what they think and if they recommend one over the other (and why). Also, from other people who just want to add their thoughts to the discussion 🙂