Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Corrosion on alloy wheels

Hi guys.

While watching a detailing UK based video the other day on the Tube, the detailer who was cleaning his sons 2017 ZC32 was complaining about the quality of the Suzuki standard alloy wheels.

And after seeing just one of the alloy wheels In question, I really do find It hard to believe that a car that Is only 3 years old has developed such corrosion on It's wheels.

So Is this a common trait of the ZC32 then? I'm asking this because I have also have found that my 65 plate Swift Sport alloys do seem to scratch up a lot easier than all the other cars that I've owned over the last 40 years. Especially If the wheels go anywhere near a curb. They just seem to scratch and mark up so easily.

Here Is a photo from the above mentioned video that shows some of the corrosion on the 2017 alloy wheel. You can clearly see the corrosion on the bottom spokes.

Opinions please guys.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot_20200310_082932.jpg

The rims on my 2016 are mint ! Is this due to careful cleaning of brake dust from nooks & crannies ?

Have you got a link to the video as well Marc?

Quote from Tam on March 10, 2020, 2:30 pm

Have you got a link to the video as well Marc?

Here :

Quote from Rob Dutton on March 10, 2020, 1:28 pm

The rims on my 2016 are mint ! Is this due to careful cleaning of brake dust from nooks & crannies ?

I think It must be. I also try and keep brake dust from collecting on the rims. And my 65 plate alloy wheels are nowhere near as bad as those from the 2017 Sport In the video.

I'd be gutted If that was my car 😳

Even the 33 has had a few cases of this and 'white worm' on the diamond cut sections. I say a few cases because mine are still mint after a year but others I know have had sets replaced by Suzuki.

Quote from Rob Dutton on March 10, 2020, 1:28 pm

It's looks like brake dust build up Is definitely the culprit for the alloy wheel corrosion.

Does Brake Dust Damage Your Alloy Wheels?

Quote from Moyz on March 10, 2020, 3:30 pm

Even the 33 has had a few cases of this and 'white worm' on the diamond cut sections. I say a few cases because mine are still mint after a year but others I know have had sets replaced by Suzuki.

Surely these problems are due to cost cutting. But then If that's the case, how do the affected cars get through quality control. It does make you wonder 🤔

I've ussd a nano wheel sealant on my wheels and they are still like new. However, some people have also used sealants and they have still had problems. Could be an issue with the wheel painting process, who knows 🤔

I have watched the video, and the guy mentions he lives near the coast, not sure if that might have something to do with it.

I do agree it could be brake dust build up, because my alloys have corrosion starting on the inner side on the spokes of the front wheels, but not on the rear wheels that don't get as dusty. Car is a July 2015 with 32000 miles.

Does anyone know if there is a good matching silver paint available for touching up ?