Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

FLat spot at 4000rpms

Hi guys, i have a 2017 Swift Sport zc33s and i have noticed a flat spot/glitch at 4000 rpms. Any thoughts/ideas on what could be causing this? I spoke to another guy with the same car and he noted changing the oil to Mobile 1 solved the issue.

It seems a bit far fetched to reckon oil could/would be the culprit. Any Thoughts?

That does sound like an odd problem. I've had a ZC33S since new. If anything, for me there is an extra surge of grunt just beyond 4,000 RPM. Likely when VVT cuts in.

My car is completely stock. Have you done any mods to the car?

Dazzasport The car is bone stock.

How many miles has it done maybe it's an issue that breaking in a bit more will solve.

It has done a little under 20,000kms.

Hi mate. I've got 2000kms on my swift sport and mine has just started to exhibit the same trait.

Was running well but now i get what sounds like the same issue as you are experiencing. I can use full throttle and it will accelerate smoothly and on boost till about 3700 ish, the acceleration then drops right off through till about 4500rpm. It (the acceleration) then picks back up albeit not as smoothly as it should and the car will rev out.

To me it almost feels like its not getting fuel or its having the timing taken right back, or its a boost issue. To me it feels more timing or fuel (injectors?).

Im not happy with a 2000kms old car having these issues and now isn't the best time to try to get it looked at due covid.

I don't think it would be oil related. I just put castrol edge titanium 5w30 in 700kms ago. Ran perfect until 2000kms and now its not running well at all.

It may well be fuel but i only fill with 98octane from a busy servo.

For me i felt some barely perceptible hesitations over the last few hundred kms that had me wondering but all the sudden its become very obvious there is an issue.

Let me know if you find a fix. I will do likewise.

Quote from 246layne on March 31, 2020, 10:38 am

Dazzasport The car is bone stock.

Just a thought. What fuel do you run It on? You don't run It on supermarket fuel do you. Have you tried the higher octane petrol 🤔

Quote from Scott on April 15, 2020, 12:47 pm

Hi mate. I've got 2000kms on my swift sport and mine has just started to exhibit the same trait.

Was running well but now i get what sounds like the same issue as you are experiencing. I can use full throttle and it will accelerate smoothly and on boost till about 3700 ish, the acceleration then drops right off through till about 4500rpm. It (the acceleration) then picks back up albeit not as smoothly as it should and the car will rev out.

To me it almost feels like its not getting fuel or its having the timing taken right back, or its a boost issue. To me it feels more timing or fuel (injectors?).

Im not happy with a 2000kms old car having these issues and now isn't the best time to try to get it looked at due covid.

I don't think it would be oil related. I just put castrol edge titanium 5w30 in 700kms ago. Ran perfect until 2000kms and now its not running well at all.

It may well be fuel but i only fill with 98octane from a busy servo.

For me i felt some barely perceptible hesitations over the last few hundred kms that had me wondering but all the sudden its become very obvious there is an issue.

Let me know if you find a fix. I will do likewise.

Out of interest. When the oil was changed 700km ago. Did you use a genuine Suzuki replacement oil filter?

I'm just wondering whether any of this can be related to oil pressure / VVT.

That's an interesting thought on the oil filter. No i used a Ryco oil filter. However the car has run well for at least 500kms after the oil change? Coild it still be an oil filter issue you think??

Quote from Scott on April 16, 2020, 3:02 pm

That's an interesting thought on the oil filter. No i used a Ryco oil filter. However the car has run well for at least 500kms after the oil change? Coild it still be an oil filter issue you think??

Not sure to be honest. I was just a thought that occurred to me. Because the VVT is supposed to actuate around 4,000 odd RPM. It could be that oil pressure is not quite sufficient at that point in your own car. Perhaps some aftermarket oil filters are more restrictive than a genuine Suzuki filter. As the problem appears to be a flat spot in power, perhaps with higher revs the oil pressure eventually becomes sufficient to actuate the VVT. I'm purely guessing of course, but what if the oil pressure in your own car is only sufficient once it gets to 5,000 or 5,500 RPM? That would definitely give an apparent 'flat spot'.

It's a cheap enough change to find out if that is the case of course. Just source a genuine Suzuki filter and slap it on. If it doesn't work. Then it's only cost £10 to £12.

If it does work. Sit back, relax and pop open a beer!