Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumZC32: Problems/SolutionsGearbox
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Gearbox

Hi, the gearbox on my 2015 sport which I have only owned for a couple of months is especially tight when cold, in particular first to second and down from third to second. The car has 32000 miles on and a full Suzuki service history. Handbook states 75W-80 API GL-4 oil so I am thinking I should renew it.

I am just wondering if anyone has experience and/or any suggestions or recommendations.

Kind Regards

Steven

Its not a bad idea to change the oil anyway, its not a big job.

But I think they are all a bit like that. I've got a 20k mile one with fresh Motul fully synthetic and its stiff too. Depends how stiff I suppose but I don't think an oil change itself will transform the feel.

Hi Steven, and a big welcome to the SSSOC. And regarding your gearbox Issue. The Swift Sports are known to be a bit notchy and clunky through the gears. My 65 plate Sport Is exactly the same. It's only covered 35k and the gearbox Is always a bit clunky until I've covered a few miles. And even then It's still a bit more notchy and clunky compared to other cars that I've owned over the years. This was one of the first things that I noticed when I bought the car a few months ago.

Happy Xmas and New year 🎄🎅🎁🍾

Thank you for the replies and the welcome, its really appreciated.

I was looking at using 'Comma MVMTF Plus 75W-80 API GL4 Fully Synthetic' which matches the spec of the hand book, I had a word with the comma technical department because they do not list a suitable oil on their website and they sent me the information I have pasted below. I am now confused as to what oil I should use. the only company I can find with the actual Suzuki reference is Ravenol UK!

Looking at the data we have for your vehicle there are two types of gear box fit to your vehicle (please see below)

Transaxle, manual, up to 28.06.2015

Manual

Capacity 1.8 liter

Gears forward: 6

Gears reverse: 1

OEM recommendation

year-round Special gear oil, Suzuki 99000-22B27-036 SAE 75W

Transaxle, manual, from 29.06.2015

Manual

Capacity 1.8 liter

Gears forward: 6

Gears reverse: 1

OEM recommendation

year-round Special gear oil, Suzuki 99000-22B21-036 SAE 75W-80

year-round Special gear oil, Suzuki 99000-22B27-036 SAE 75W

Looking at the data above we do not have a product that fully meets the required specifications

Just pick one from here...

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-gear-oil.aspx

I'd go with Motul or Millers, but thats just personal preference.

Thank you very much for the link, I will have a good look.

I've used Motul stuff for my performance motors for the past 15-ish years and they've never let me down, from engine oil and gearbox oil, to brake fluid...all have performed excellently 👍

At the end of the day, oil is oil...wether its gearbox or engine oil. Just make sure you use the right rating from a good manufacturer and you'll be gold 👍

To be quite honest I've driven 3 swift sports and the gearboxes are all a bit stiff when cold , you find it hard to get in gear or just a bit annoying?

If it's the latter I wouldn't worry about it , you don't need the gearbox to be smooth when the cars cold anyways 🙂

Thank you for your replies and input.
I think I will go with the Motul and get it done.
It will give me peace of mind knowing it has been replaced.
Once I have it sorted, which may be a few weeks, I will post to let you all know if I think it has made any difference.

Hoping everyone has a happy new year.

Kind regards

Steven

Good luck mate, I hope it gives you the solution you're looking for.

Happy New year to you 👍