Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumZC32: Problems/SolutionsGearbox
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Gearbox

I'm being a bit undecided and maybe overthinking things now after reading other posts, and also the product description on RED LINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75W-80 GL4.

I like the fact that it is specifically a GL4.

I don't mind the extra few quid.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used it.

I emailed Opie Oils and they say it would be ideal.

Kind regards

Steven

Quote from Steven Newton on December 30, 2019, 3:10 pm

I'm being a bit undecided and maybe overthinking things now after reading other posts, and also the product description on RED LINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75W-80 GL4.

I like the fact that it is specifically a GL4.

I don't mind the extra few quid.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used it.

I emailed Opie Oils and they say it would be ideal.

Kind regards

Steven

Hi Steven

Try not to overthink it, any good brand oil of the right viscosity is going to be just fine for the box.

Don’t get your hopes up too high though that it will actually cure the issue in question, I recall on occasion having to double clutch my ZC32 to get it into gear when cold, but it becomes a much sweeter shift when really warmed through.

Incidentally my ZC32 box was rebuilt at 10k or so, and had a new clutch, due to a persistent rattle that was never fully cured, and I can’t really say that the shift quality improved with any of the work that was done.

Will be interested to see how you get on though πŸ‘

Hi Steven. My advice would be, just do what you think Is right.If paying that little bit extra for the decent stuff makes you happy then go for It. And Its always better to be safe than sorry anyway. That's what I would do anyway πŸ‘

I just want to thank everyone for their help and advice.

In the end after talking to Opie Oils I have ordered RED LINE Synthetic Manual Transmission 90 MT90 75W-90 GL4. They recommend this over RED LINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75W-80 GL4.

Time will tell how good it is, I will post what I think in a few weeks.

All the best to everyone for 2020.

Manufacturer says:-

RED LINE MTL and MT-90 are designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles. MTL and MT-90 have cured the problem of hard shifting in numerous transmissions which have notoriously difficult shifting. Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that is slightly heavier than REDLINE MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchromisers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

Good luck with it, Redline MTL oils have always had a good name. When I was on the Golf GTi forum it was always being recommended for the Mk2 GTi's as the gearboxes were getting tired and the synchro mesh between first and second would wear, probably because hardly anyone changed the box oil every two years, I digress !

It was always highly spoken of and did help a lot of people with crunchy boxes and poor cold gear changes !

Please let us know how you get on as I'm sure it's something others may have an interest in.

Thanks for that Uruk, I will definitely post how it turns out.
It will probably be in a few weeks time.

Mine on 50k now and the gearbox is still horrible when cold, but fine when fully warmed up. It does slightly spoil the ownership experience during the winter if I'm honest, as does the horrendous lack of power when cold.

Mike that's there to save you from yourself! , cold engines should not be hit hard.

That being said I would estimate the cold engine has about 60hp , about the same as what a 2010 1.0 polo has... Imagine having that all the time πŸ™‚

Quote from Steven Newton on January 1, 2020, 1:11 pm

Thanks for that Uruk, I will definitely post how it turns out.
It will probably be in a few weeks time.

Looking forward to hear how you get on Steven.

Quote from Jason Muir on January 2, 2020, 1:23 am

Mike that's there to save you from yourself! , cold engines should not be hit hard.

That being said I would estimate the cold engine has about 60hp , about the same as what a 2010 1.0 polo has... Imagine having that all the time πŸ™‚

It's commonly repeated that the sluggish cold performance is due to an engine protection scheme, though no evidence has ever been given for it. There is evidence against it however:

1) Other manufacturers don't cripple the engine when cold, my CTR had VTEC disabled but would still pull normally at low-mid RPM. This has a an engine in a considerably higher state of tune than the M16A but mine was still running strong at 140k and burning negligible oil between services, is the Suzuki engine really so fragile?
2) The alleged "protection" only cripples torque at low engine speeds, get the RPM high enough and the engine will pull strongly even when cold (and yes I know this isn't a great idea). Why would this protection scheme not protect against the behaviour that could actually be damaging?

Far more likely IMO that it's caused by a (poor) emissions strategy to light up the cat more quickly using e.g. retarded ignition timing.