Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumZC32: Problems/SolutionsGearbox
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Gearbox

Sounds good already 👍

After driving the car for a week (about a hundred miles), and having had a couple of frosty cold mornings, I can honestly say the gear change is vastly improved. Where changing down from third to second had very stiff resistance, it now has only slight resistance. When warmed up all changes are slick.

Nice to hear mate. Will maybe try the same stuff when the time comes for me 👍

Quote from Steven Newton on February 1, 2020, 2:24 pm

After driving the car for a week (about a hundred miles), and having had a couple of frosty cold mornings, I can honestly say the gear change is vastly improved. Where changing down from third to second had very stiff resistance, it now has only slight resistance. When warmed up all changes are slick.

Might be worth feeding this back to Suzuki UK, you just never know we might get a less than ideal grade as standard.

Hi, guys, new here. 🙂

Today I test drove 2 of these super minis.
Was impressed with them, except one issue, gearbox.

1st car: 2016 with just 2200 miles, Going from 1st to 2nd was, hard and not smooth.
2nd car: 2013 with 36000 miles, Same issue but from 2nd to 3rd.

Because test drive was short, 10 min, i guess the gearbox was not up the operating temp?
When is the gear oil change interval on this Sports?

Swift Sports are cracking little cars but the gearboxes are definitely notchy by nature and I suppose if you don't like that characteristic or can't get use to it, it might be best to avoid one. Having said that they do get better as they get up to temperature and an oil change can help the gear changes but it's not guaranteed ! I believe it's helped mine with cold changes but to be honest I decided it wasn't going to put me off the car as I wanted one too much and it didn't really bother me enough to ever stop me having one, for me it's just a characteristic of the car !

I've included the page with oil service change intervals and you can make of that what you will but I don't think many people leave the boxes tha long without changing the oil, personally I changed mine when it was four years old !

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0893.JPG

I've done mine every 3/4 years 👍

A solid rear engine mount helped the shifts on my 33 loads, so the same thing may help with the 32's box. I'm sure theres too much movement of the engine when you come off load to change gear and this effects the distance of stroke the gearstick has on the shift mech on the gearbox 👍

I think most people who drive the swift sport ZC32S seem to have what I will call minor issues withe the gearbox.
Thees issues seem to present themselves in varying degrees, but mostly in the lower gears. In my case the only issue I had was going from third down to second was difficult, especially so from cold, and even at low revs where blipping the throttle was not necessary, this has improved enough for me to be happy by changing the oil to Redline MTL 75W80 GL4. Also the gear change mechanism in the car is in my opinion clunky, but you get used to it, and it becomes part of the personality of the car which overall is a fun everyday usable package.

I purchased the oil as per the link below (best price I could find), it has good reviews on their website, and also on a lot of other forums I have looked at for its ability to solve issues on problem gearboxes. It may not work for yours but I think for what it costs, its worth a try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Line-MTL-75W80-GL-4-Manual-Transmission-Gear-Oil-1-US-Quart-Redline-MTL/283040254259?epid=1125294461&hash=item41e6838933:g:QRYAAOSwSdFbPPZ6

Quote from Moyz on February 2, 2020, 8:26 am

I've done mine every 3/4 years 👍

A solid rear engine mount helped the shifts on my 33 loads, so the same thing may help with the 32's box. I'm sure theres too much movement of the engine when you come off load to change gear and this effects the distance of stroke the gearstick has on the shift mech on the gearbox 👍

Hi there, noticed that you've fitted the hardrace rear engine mount. There's a few brands readily avail, beatrush, cusco and hardrace. From Phil, the beatrush mount is abit harsh even for medium hardness option. How is the hardrace? Based on photo, it look so much similar to stock, just thinking if performance wise it's much better than stock.

Generally my shift can be notchy from gear 1 to gear 2 at high rpm. The rest seems OK.

The Hardrace mount is spot on...its hard enough to stop the engine from pitching under load but it doesn't transfer much vibration into the cabin 👍