Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral Discussion: GeneralNew member.
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

New member.

Hi Everyone,

Thinking of getting a SSS ZC32 as a replacement for my current car a MK5 Golf GTI. Need something a bit more economical and with lower overall running costs while still being fun to drive. The Golf is my daily driver and is used mainly for commuting approx. 7.5 miles each way to and from work on a mixture of A and B roads. How do you think I will find the Suzuki in comparison to the Golf? Looking to hopefully test drive a SSS in the near future if one pops up sale fairly locally.

Thanks.

Andy.

Hi Andrew, and a big welcome to the SSSOC.

I can't reeally comment about the comparison though because I've never owned a golf, but I'm sure that somebody will be along soon who has 👍

Thanks Marc,

Generally speaking how do you find the ZC32's performance and running costs if used as a daily?

Andy.

The two engines are very, very different. You may not like the drop in torque coming from the GTi. You need to wring the 32's guts out like a VTEC engine. Chassis wise though you'd love it.

Quote from Andrew on March 15, 2020, 7:16 pm

Thanks Marc,

Generally speaking how do you find the ZC32's performance and running costs if used as a daily?

Andy.

Since retiring from full time work I don't really do much milage. I'd say no more than about 7-8k per year. But when I do take the sport on a long run I easily achieve about 40 odd miles per gallon.

I just love the way the car handles, especially around the bendy lanes on the North Norfolk coast. Plus there's the the added advantage of no expensive turbo to go wrong 😁

Thanks Guys,

Some good food for thought there. Will try and arrange a test drive when possible.

Cheers.

Andy.

Test drove a 2016 3 door SSS today and first impressions were good, really liked it especially the nimble handling. Car in question had approx. 54,000 miles on it and was a bit scruffy around the edges.
I am in no rush to get rid of my Golf and perhaps now is not the best time to be selling and buying cars! I will be patiently keeping an eye out for a really nice Swift Sport though.
As the car I drove was a 3 door how does the 5 door compare for practicality?

Thanks.

Andy.

Quote from Andrew on March 21, 2020, 3:56 pm

As the car I drove was a 3 door how does the 5 door compare for practicality?

Thanks.

Andy.

Hi Andy.

I suppose It depends on what you prefer and your personal circumstances as well. For example, do you have any kids? Will you ever use the back seats much for friends or family etc? If the answer Is yes then I would definately opt for the 5 door. Just for the sheer practibility alone.

But to be honest from a personal point of view, I could never really see the point of 3 door car. But saying that, my wife and I brought up 3 kids so a 3 door would have been totally unpractical anyway.

I suppose a 3 door may appeal more to some people In the styling department, but that's obviously a personal choice. But a 5 door hatch would be my choice all day long.

Thanks Marc,

Some great points to consider there. I like the idea of a 5 door for its greater practicality, being able to easily throw things onto the backseats for example. My Golf is a 5 door but only occasionally are the rear seats used for passengers. If the perfect Swift Sport came along and happened to be a 3 door I don't think it would put me off.

Cheers.

Andy.

One of the main reasons why a 3 door hatch has never appealed to me (even before I got married and had kids) was the thought of having to fold down the seats every time somebody wanted to get In and out of the car. It would definitely drive me nuts. 5 doors cars are without doubt a lot more practical 👍