Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumZC32: General DiscussionPoor quality alloys?
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Poor quality alloys?

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I really do believe that these stock alloys are more prone to scratches and kerb damage than those on other cars. I've been been driving for 40 years next month and have never really had an Issue with kerb damage before with previous cars. Yes, we've all been guilty of hitting the dreaded kerb In the past and causing scuff marks, but like I've already said, In my opinion the Swifts alloys just seem to mark up a lot easier than others do ?

I find it hard to argue that the stock alloys are poor quality, quite the opposite in fact. Having had several work colleagues with cracked alloys on other more premium marques the stock alloys on my SSS are tough as nails. Some of the potholes I haven't been able to avoid have left me worried about the structure of the car, but the wheels have never suffered.

They are prone to kerbing, simply because of the tyre profile, but they are no different to any other wheel with low profile tyres in my experience, if you kerb them it's going to do damage. Tyres with rim protection help a little, but there are limits if you aren't careful.

I'm guessing the original finish is a paint finish, so it won't be very thick, powder coating is probably more resistant to kerbing, being a lot thicker finish and doesn't cost much to do It gives you the opportunity to change the look too.

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for the reply and Info. And I suppose your right about the low profile Tyre being the probable cause of the wheel kerbing. It's just annoying because I've never managed to kerb and scratch an alloy wheel so quickly before In 40 years of driving as I have with my current Swift Sport ?