Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Replacing car battery?

any auto digital multimeter should do, i have this:
https://www.conrad.com/p/laserliner-multimeter-pocket-auto-handheld-multimeter-digital-cat-iii-1000-v-display-counts-2000-1052670

Thanks for the link bud 👍

I've got one of these, probably had it for 8-10 years and does everything I need it to. 👍

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637192135/digital-multimeter-8-function-with-thermocouple

Regarding your other comment about batteries, you may well be right. When my last battery in my previous car was on the decline I had it tested in every way I could think of. It was holding a good voltage, getting well charged, I was charging it on a optimiser which was telling me the condition was good and I had a drop test carried out which was good. The battery was still dieing and struggling to start on cold mornings, when ever I put jump leads on from a running car it bumped over, which just confirmed my believe.

Thanks for the link Uruk Hai.

And something strange also happened to my Swift earlier. Basically, after fitting the new battery, I took the car on a short trip of about 10 miles just to top up the charge and I noticed that the digital mileage Indicator wasn't showing any figures at all. It was completely blank. It should have read about 365 miles because I only filled up yesterday before the battery packed up.

But just as I pulled onto my drive a figure of 235 miles suddenly appeared on the digital readout. So I'm guessing that It's just going to take a while to reset Itself and catch up.

Has anything like that ever happened to you after changing batteries 🤔

Hi Marc

Changed my battery around January as had some issues starting and took a while for aspects of tacho to re-calibrate. Think first day was blank then returned and been all good since.
Had no issues with DAB or central locking but still a little slower to crank even off new battery fully charged. Am lucky too as can connect to an optimiser in drive to keep battery charged, guess cranking is just a quirk have no other issues with my car. HTH.

Marc I think effectively your car is sort of finding its feet again as far as the mpg figures etc, hopefully over the next few drives and tens of miles it'll settle down and get back to what ever the norm is for your car.

I've not changed or even disconnected the battery on my Swift yet but when I use to disconnect or change the one in my Focus it used to behave quite strangely for the first few minutes and could take about 100 miles to settle down properly. On reconnecting the battery the stereo would have a nervous breakdown for five minutes and on the first start up the dials used to dance and flick off the stops for about ten seconds, apparently that isn't a problem ! First time it happened I was having kittens 🙄

Good luck with the new battery and keep us posted. 👍

Quote from Ljay on May 6, 2020, 6:25 pm

Hi Marc

Changed my battery around January as had some issues starting and took a while for aspects of tacho to re-calibrate. Think first day was blank then returned and been all good since.
Had no issues with DAB or central locking but still a little slower to crank even off new battery fully charged. Am lucky too as can connect to an optimiser in drive to keep battery charged, guess cranking is just a quirk have no other issues with my car. HTH.

Thanks for the reply and Info Ljay 👍

Quote from Uruk Hai on May 6, 2020, 7:18 pm

Marc I think effectively your car is sort of finding its feet again as far as the mpg figures etc, hopefully over the next few drives and tens of miles it'll settle down and get back to what ever the norm is for your car.

I've not changed or even disconnected the battery on my Swift yet but when I use to disconnect or change the one in my Focus it used to behave quite strangely for the first few minutes and could take about 100 miles to settle down properly. On reconnecting the battery the stereo would have a nervous breakdown for five minutes and on the first start up the dials used to dance and flick off the stops for about ten seconds, apparently that isn't a problem ! First time it happened I was having kittens 🙄

Good luck with the new battery and keep us posted. 👍

Thanks, will do 😊