Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumZC32: General DiscussionRev Hang (lack of)
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Rev Hang (lack of)

Hi all, I have recently bought a 2014 Swift Sport 3-door in blue (which is the best colour in my opinion). Really happy with the car and no complaints with it. Just ticked over 30k miles and I'm hoping to keep it for good many years and run it into the ground. So expect many more random questions from me over the coming months!

One thing I have noticed is that there is very little rev hang with this engine. It's most noticeable when making large ratio downshifts, 6th to 3rd when approaching a dual carriageway roundabout, for example. Due to emissions regulations, rev hang is a frustrating quirk of just about every car I've driven made in the last 5 - 10 years. But I've found when making slightly slower than usual gear changes, the revs have almost dropped to idle by the time I apply the throttle again. The same when cutting the ignition, the engine does stall out to 0 rpm quicker than I'm used to.

I don't know if the Swift Sport just has a particularly light flywheel and I'm just not used to it yet? Or whether there's something causing more friction than it should within my engine?

I'm aware this is quite a minor point and I may just be being an overprotective/paranoid new car owner! But I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this, based on their own Swifts. Thanks in advance!

I only notice it when the engine is cold. It really bothers me then. When the engine warms up, no problems, it runs as it should.

Kendawgmiyagi and HarryP have reacted to this post.
KendawgmiyagiHarryP

I appreciate I'm a bit late to the party here but just to add that the rev hang on mine doesn't last long before the idle finds a normal level.

HarryP has reacted to this post.
HarryP

Thank you both for the responses. Now I've driven mine a little bit more, it does still do it but only when cold. Once up to temp it isn't as noticeable.