Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Timing Chain Replacement - am I being overcharged?

So finally got to bottom of the issues with my car - turns out, it's the timing chain.

As with previous repairs, finding the parts for these cars is proving to be quite a challenge!

Currently I'm being quoted £750 just for the parts (excluding the £700 labour charge)

Anyone ever have the same experience? or know a better place to source a timing chain for a 2012 swift?

(car has done 107k miles for reference)

Parts should only cost around 160-200 quid, then about 200 for labour. Whoever is quoting you this is stiffing you mate 😕

Managed to source the part finally! it really wasn't easy getting hold of the part. - £160 - however the labor charge was expensive, so in total £720 (incl vat) - apparently it's a 7 hour job?

At least it's going to be repaired I guess hahah

Its really a 4 hour job, but if you're happy with that then go for it bud 👍

Quote from Ollie Belt on February 12, 2020, 9:04 am

however the labor charge was expensive, so in total £720 (incl vat) - apparently it's a 7 hour job?

At least it's going to be repaired I guess hahah

Glad you're getting It sorted Ollie. £720 does seem to be a bit expensive though. So I'm guessing that you was quoted that by a Suzuki main dealer. I know that they charge about £83 per hour labour, whereas my local village garage only charges about £25 per hour.

But like Moyz said, as long as you are happy that's all that matters 👍

Thanks guys! You're right - it is a little steep - and it's not from a main dealer! (there's no main dealers within half an hour of me)

I think the actual timing chain kit was the expensive part - as mentioned, I had a real challenge trying to get hold of one! (Sims Suzuki - Ebay - wanted £315 just for the sprocket..)

Recon it's worth trying to find a garage that will do it for cheaper? or just go with the higher price? the worry is finding the part again!

Hi Ollie.

Personally speaking, If It was me. I would buy the genuine parts for £350 and then take the car to my local garage who only charges about £25 per hour for labour. But then that's just me. Do you or anybody else know of any decent mechanics with good reviews? If not, then maybe you should pay the £720. At least then the job will be sorted once and for all.

It's totally your choice mate. But please keep us Informed on how you get on 👍

I found this video on YouTube, It gives a good look at what is involved, including cylinder head gasket.