Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Video's through Infotainment?

On top of the little niggling issues I have with the Sat Nav, I've been trying to play videos on the display but haven't managed it yet.

I put a USB stick in with an mp4 format video on but it refuses to play. I can find it on the stick, but I tap the file and nothing. Has anyone managed to do this?

Engine stopped and handbrake pulled?

Yes, engine off and handbrake on, but still nothing. I tap the file and nothing happens.

I'll try ordering a new USB drive and put a few different formats on to see which it prefers, even though the manual says mp4 should work fine 🤷‍♂️

If you find out how to do it, definitely let us know. Id be very interested in this.

I haven't read the manual but i didn't think it was possible, i thought there was some law about that the driver shouldn't be able to see a screen showing video (except reversing camera) (and even though your stopped and engine off).

Just read it again and it's defintiely possible. Also saw a video on YouTube of a guy in India playing a video on it. In the manual it just says it's possible if the parking brake is applied, otherwise you just see a safety message (which I don't).

It's perfectly legal to play a video within the drivers view as long as they are not on a public road. I would like to use it to keep my young daughter entertained while we're parked up waiting for her Mum to finish shopping for example. As we're off the road it's fine.

I'll download a few types of video file and try it on a fresh USB drive tomorrow. I'll update whatever way it works out.

Quote from Ben-jpn on May 28, 2020, 9:41 pm

Just read it again and it's defintiely possible. Also saw a video on YouTube of a guy in India playing a video on it. In the manual it just says it's possible if the parking brake is applied, otherwise you just see a safety message (which I don't).

It's perfectly legal to play a video within the drivers view as long as they are not on a public road. I would like to use it to keep my young daughter entertained while we're parked up waiting for her Mum to finish shopping for example. As we're off the road it's fine.

I'll download a few types of video file and try it on a fresh USB drive tomorrow. I'll update whatever way it works out.

I've been trying to figure out what video file format the infotainment will play for months now, but I gave up lol. Please keep us posted with your results.

Have you updated the infotainment system with suzuki?
In France we have for the first car, delivered in June and July 2019..
Maybe ask to your local dealer.

I did wonder if that was the case Phil, but I checked the software version and it is up to date.

I have managed to crack it however! I used the same USB drive (Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB) but it had to be formatted in FAT32. I copied a range of video formats to it, and the only one that shows up on the Infotainment display is .mp4

I recorded the screen playing video here:

There is also a screenshot of a Simpsons episode playing below. It's still not perfect and I need to figure out the limits. I have had an hour long 1080p video playing, but it's hit and miss as to how long it will take to start. Whether the stick needs to be in there for so long first or you just need to wait to buffer I don't know.

I'll try a series of videos at 480p instead (the others were all 1080p) as maybe it's just struggling with files above a certain size.

Nice to have some progress at last though!

Uploaded files:
  • 20200529_101132.jpg

It seems that when the files are too large the playback stops, same thing in audio with WAV file (uncompressed) for exemple..