Forum

Welcome to the official website / forum site for Suzuki Swift Sport Owners Club (SSSOC).

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Returning to the SSS

After a few years off I’m back in a Suzuki Swift Sport so popping in to say hi.

I had a ZC32 back around 2013-14 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Other than quite a lot of cabin rattles it was faultless and I still miss it. Traded it in for something more suited to the long commute I started with a job change but I really missed the light weight and handling on a B road. I’ve since moved closer to work and since lockdown have been mostly working from home to a return to a hot hatch was always on the cards. Actually ran a Fiesta ST that I got new at a bargain price in March and enjoyed that too. More power than the Swift obviously but I’m not convinced it would be all that quicker on a twisty B road due to the additional weight. With the nearly new market going mental I saw an opportunity to make a bit of a profit on the ST and grab a new Swift Sport Hybrid ZC33 and went for it.

Initial observations (not fully run in yet so haven’t really put my foot down) are that the ZC33 has improved the cabin build over the ZC32 and while the plastics are hard it feels better put together than the ST. Outside I definitely prefer the Swift and the panel gaps are much, much better than the ST although paint is a bit orange peely for my liking. The ST beats the Swift on seating and on noise (might look at a CTC exhaust at some point) but otherwise they are quite closely matched on kit. Once I get through the running in period I can then exploit the full potential on a B road and get a bit more in depth on the driving experience.

Welcome Colin.

I'm currently driving the non-hybrid ZC33S. But, I also had a new ZC32S as my previous car. I'm not sure how the hybrid variant compares to the non-hybrid variant as regards performance. But, I've had some dicings with Mk7 and Mk8 Fiesta ST's - and I can tell you that generally they are no quicker - as far as in-gear performance is concerned. That's as long as you put Esso Supreme+ 99 octane in the tank.

I've tried most high octane fuel's available in the Swift Sport. It definitely runs best on Esso's super-juice. One thing the Swift Sport has over the ST, and that's an adaptive ECU. It can actually 'tune itself up' for more performance if higher octane fuel is detected (read: less chance of knock detected)

As for handling. Pretty much the same. I've had two run in's with a Mountuned Mk8 Fiesta ST down a couple of back roads near where I live. Even without an LSD, the Swift Sport's low weight advantage meant that it was practically with the ST all the way. The Mountuned ST was a bit quicker out of the corners - but then it should be with additional tuned horsepower at it's disposal. But, by the end of a few miles of twisty back roads. The Swift Sport was right with him straight into the 30 zones.

He wasn't getting away! LOL.

Personally, I find the ZC33S's handling to be better than my old ZC32S. Although both are great cars. The ZC33S is just that bit more stable and gives me greater confidence to push on in the corners. To this day, I'm still amazed at how good the chassis is. I've been driving Swift Sport's for 5 years now. Never been bored with them. Always entertaining to drive.

Anyway, welcome (back) to the club!

Hi Colin, and a big welcome to the SSSOC.

Colin, are you talking about the mk8 fiesta in this post? I have never driven the fiesta, but I am wondering if I am "missing out" on anything with the swift haha. I just can't believe everyone and all reviews claim the Fiesta is so much better than the swift when it weighs like 220 KG more.

@zc33s_undrgnd
With some bolt on its properly quick. Did this run in the middle of Australian summer. I don't think you are missing out on anything, but thats just me ?

Also moose test between the two
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-suzuki-swift-sport-and-ford-fiesta-st-take-the-moose-test-127954.html

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot_20220131-233948_Drag-Racer.jpg

Hi Colin

I have just gone from a Swift SZ-T Boosterjet to the same model as yours and I am also very impressed. Like you, I haven't had it long and it is still running in, but very pleased so far, although the new electronics take some getting used to 🙂